What does an Insurance Underwriter do?
An assessment of whether insurance cover should be accepted and the terms and conditions of that acceptance. The risk of insuring a person or company according to the likelihood of a claim being made is the primary focus. It is about attracting and retaining customers through competitive insurance premiums but also being able to cover any potential losses from claims.
BA Business Management
BSc Accounting and Finance
BSc International Business Management
MSc Corporate Financial Management
MSc Strategic Business Management
MSc Strategic Business Management Online
MSc Global Accounting
MSc Global Accounting Online
What skills does an Insurance Underwriter need?
- Effective analytical skills
- Strong interpersonal and written and verbal communication skills
- Negotiation skills and the ability to influence others
- The ability to understand and process technical information
- Strong decision-making skills and sound judgement
- Numeracy and statistical skills
- Problem-solving skills and a logical approach to work
- Self-motivation and the ability to work to tight deadlines
- Team working skills as well as the ability to use initiative.
For more information on jobs and what to expect from this career, please visit some of the most widely used sites for careers support.