Diversity and Inclusion at ULaw: Read more here

student support

Care Experienced and Estranged Students

If you have spent time in local authority care or do not have contact with your parents, we can provide practical advice, information and support.

How to identify as a care experienced or estranged student

Care experienced students

The term care leaver refers to a person under the age of 25 who has been in the care of their local authority for a period of at least 13 weeks before the age of 16. The term care experienced refers to a person who has spent any amount of time in local authority care.

At The University of Law we recognise that any time spent in local authority care can have an impact on educational opportunities so we provide support to care experienced students and care leavers alike.

Please indicate any care experience in your application form to the University and ensure that you select the UCAS tick box to indicate that you are care experienced. You can also put this information in your personal statement or have your applicant referee include this in your reference. Alternatively, you can contact our Admissions team.

Estranged students

An estranged student is a person aged 18 to 24 and who has not had verbal or written contact with both of their biological, adoptive parents or only living parent for a significant period of time and this will not change. If you are unsure if this applies to you, take a look at the Stand Alone Student Guide.

Please indicate your estrangement in your application form to the University. You can put this information in your personal statement or have your applicant referee include this in your reference. Alternatively, you can contact our Admissions team.

Support we offer for our care experienced and estranged students:

A named contact at the university for both pre-entry and on-course guidance

  • 1-1 pre-induction campus visit days: please contact Student Information at your chosen campus to arrange this.
  • 1-1 appointments with the Welfare Service within the first month of your course start date. During the appointment you will have an opportunity to discuss any concerns you have as well as being informed about support on offer for you at ULaw during your studies, including information about study skills support, library support and disability support and inclusion.
  • Contact with the Accommodation Officer for advice about accessing accommodation for 52 weeks of the year.
  • A free Totum card. Totum is a student discount card and app which gives you access to exclusive student deals on food and fashion, tech and travel and everything in between - www.totum.com
  • An appointment with the Employability Service within 6 weeks of your course start date. You do not have to wait for an appointment if you want to access this service before you start your course, you can contact [email protected]
  • Contact with the money and housing team for advice about student finance and budgeting.
  • A contribution to interview clothing
  • A contribution to the costs of graduation
  • (Undergraduate care experienced students only) A financial support package of up to £2000 per academic year tailored to your needs, for example: free printing, supermarket vouchers, equipment vouchers, travel pass etc.
  • (Undergraduate care experienced students only) A contextual offer which is up to six grades below the standard entry requirements shown on the course pages on our website or in our prospectus. For example, if you are applying for our LLB Law (3 years) you’ll be asked to achieve DDD at A Level instead of BBB. Our contextual offers are for all our undergraduate courses (excluding our degrees with a foundation year and apprenticeships).

“Thank you very much and I appreciate all the support from yourself and student services. It really keeps me going to know I can come there when I’m overwhelmed. Thank you so much.”

Bright Futures Mentoring programme

The University of Law is delighted to be working in collaboration with Brightside to deliver the Bright Futures Mentoring programme. This programme is specifically designed for young people in or with experience of being in care.

The Bright Futures Mentoring programme aims to support you to help you make confident and informed decisions about your future. The Brightside Online mentoring app lets you choose your mentor, finding the right fit for you, to help you learn about careers and higher education that are tailored to you and your interests, whilst being delivered at your own pace. You will be able to choose from a range of mentors in different careers and from different universities, so you can choose and talk with the person you relate to the most.

Brightside is an online mentoring charity that connects young people with inspirational role models. Their safe and secure online mentoring platform (or app) is text based so there are no video calls, no live chat, no phone calls. Access to the mentoring platform is available from any smart phone, computer or other internet connected device. Further information about Brightside can be found here.

Students will be able to join the programme in the coming weeks and it will run until the end of August 2022. If you would like to take part, and are in Years 10 – 13, you will need to fill out a short application form found here. Applications close at 5pm on Wednesday 6th July and places will be allocated to those who are eligible on a first-come first-served basis. If you have any questions then please email [email protected]

Contact us

Please contact the Welfare team at your campus for further information on our support for care experienced and estranged students.

Find out more about our support for commuter students, BAME students and mature students.