What does a Social Media Manager do?
Social media managers lead an organisation’s social media strategy in order to boost visibility and customer and client engagement. This typically involves managing an organisation’s online presence by developing a strategy, producing good content, analysing usage data, facilitating customer service and managing projects and campaigns.
Applications are now open for our undergraduate and postgraduate courses, including online, part-time and business options.Discover our business courses
What skills does a Social Media Manager need?
- A solid understanding of how to use social media platforms, particularly in relation to advertising and branding
- A thorough approach to work and attention to detail
- The ability to use your initiative
- Knowledge about algorithms and Search Engine Optimisation (SEO)
- Strong editing and writing skills, including knowing how to use effective storytelling techniques to write a successful social media post
- The ability to sell products and services
- Creative skills and the ability to come up with innovative ideas for promotion and advertising
- The ability to accept criticism and work well under pressure
- Strong communication skills, the ability to present and the ability to clearly articulate ideas to colleagues and clients
- Analytical ability
- Organisational skills, the ability to prioritise and work across multiple campaigns
- The ability to work well under pressure and meet deadlines
- Data analysis skills to be able to decipher actionable insights that can be used in future promotions
- The ability to work accurately and an eye for detail
- Problem solving skills
- Knowledge of media production, photo and video editing experience is useful
- An understanding of online community management and customer service skills when having direct discussions with potential and actual customers
- Excellent team work and networking skills when working with other departments in the business
- Knowledge of the methods organisations use to promote themselves through social media
- The ability to multitask, to work on a number of projects at once.
For more information on jobs and what to expect from this career, please visit some of the most widely used sites for careers support.
Find out how we can support you to get the best start possible to your career.Discover more
Find out more about us including our mission and vision for the future of education.Discover more