What does an Advertising Account Executive do?
The role involves acting as a link between an agency and its clients, including the coordination of advertising campaigns. It is vital to understand the needs of clients to achieve the desired outcomes and to be disciplined with administrative and campaign work to ensure that advertising projects are completed on time and within budget.
Applications are now open for our undergraduate and postgraduate courses, including online, part-time and business options.Discover our business courses
What skills does an Advertising Account Executive need?
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- A proactive attitude, with the ability to use initiative and be flexible
- Excellent organisational skills
- The ability to work under pressure and assimilate large quantities of information quickly, while maintaining attention to detail
- Effective team working skills to work with a range of people including account planners and media planners
- Influencing and negotiation skills when winning new business
- Commercial awareness
- An understanding of what makes a good advertisement
- Resilience and the ability to deal with problems and constructive criticism
- An awareness of how advertising and marketing is developing in light of new communication technologies
- The ability to present and brief a range of stakeholders
- Understanding of social media networks and strategies
- Interpersonal and relationship building skills
- Creativity – the ability to come up with ideas for campaigns and ways to promote brands
- The ability to monitor, analyse and report on data and results from campaigns
- You may also need the ability to manage budgets.
What does an advertising executive do on a daily basis?
Advertising executives responsibilities include managing the account and advertising campaigns, and communicating the progress clearly to all involved. They work with supervisors and marketing directors to implement advertising campaigns and keep track of sales leads. Meeting sales targets might require working more than 40 hours a week in order to achieve them.
How to become an advertising executive?
You can become an advertising executive by studying a media, marketing or communication degree. Alternatively, you can progress into this position with relevant work experience. Graduates are generally preferred, especially in large and international agencies.
Lots of advertising companies offer training schemes for graduates. As employers value experience, it would be beneficial for you to gain as much as possible during your studies. A degree with a work placement year, or a summer internship, could give you a competitive advantage.
How much do advertising executives earn a year?
According to Glassdoor.co.uk, graduates can earn between £17,000 and £23,000, depending on the location and company. Experienced advertising executives can earn up to £42,000 in the UK. Advertising agencies often offer their employees many benefits, such as gym memberships, extended holidays, share options and competitive pension plans.
For more information on jobs and what to expect from this career, please visit some of the most widely used sites for careers support.
Find out how we can support you to get the best start possible to your career.Discover more
Find out more about us including our mission and vision for the future of education.Discover more