UK visa requirements

Tier 4: Applying outside the UK

You can apply for your Tier 4 Student visa up to 3 months before your course start date, but not before that. You should start preparing for your visa application early to make sure you have all the necessary documentation.

In order to apply for your visa, you will need a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) number from The University of Law. You cannot apply for your visa until you have received a CAS. Please see our information on receiving a CAS for guidance on requesting a CAS.

Once you have received your CAS, you will need to complete these steps:

1. Complete an online application

You must complete an online application on the Home Office website in your country of nationality. Further instructions can be found on the UK Visas and Immigration website. As part of the online application, you will be asked specific questions about your course and finances. We will send you guidance with your CAS to help you answer these questions.

2. Pay the visa application fee and the Immigration Health Surcharge

You will pay the visa application fee of £348 and the Immigration Health Surcharge (IHS) at the end of your online visa application. The IHS allows you to access the UK’s National Health Service (NHS) during your studies. The amount you have to pay will vary depending on the length of your course.

3. Book your biometric appointment
You will have to travel to a centre in your country where your fingerprints and photo will be taken. You will select the date and time of your appointment at the end of your online application. This must be completed within 15 days of submitting your online application.

4. Attend an interview
Some students will have to attend an interview with the Home Office as part of the visa application process. You will be asked some questions about your course, why you have chosen The University of Law and your reasons for studying in the UK. A report of the interview will be sent to the Entry Clearance Officer who will assess your application. Failure to attend the interview will lead to the refusal of your visa application. For further information about the Tier 4 interview process, please click here.

5. Submit your visa application
You must submit a hard copy of your visa application with all of your supporting documents to the visa application centre in your country. For details of what you need to submit, see our information on financial requirements and supporting documents. The UK Visas and Immigration website also has specific advice on making a visa application in most countries.

Frequently Asked Questions

How long will it take to receive my visa?

The Home Office’s service standard is 15 working days, but this can be longer during busy periods or if they need to verify any information. Click here for estimated visa processing times. There are now paid services available to expedite a Tier 4 visa application in many countries. You can find further details by contacting your nearest visa application centre.

Can I bring dependants with me to the UK?

The Home Office regulations state that you can only bring dependants to the UK if you are studying a course at RQF Level 7 or above and your course is 9 months or more in duration. Therefore, you can bring dependants if you are studying the Bar Practice Course, the Legal Practice Course or any of our Master’s Degree programmes, which are 9 months or longer. You cannot bring dependants if you are studying the Graduate Diploma in Law or any of our undergraduate programmes.

Please note that if you are bringing dependants to the UK, we must check the financial evidence they will be submitting with their visa application before issuing you a CAS. This is because their visa application will be linked to yours. We cannot issue you a CAS until we are satisfied that your financial evidence and your dependants' fully meets the Home Office requirements.

If you will be studying a course with us which does not allow you to bring dependants and you would like family members to visit you during your studies, they will need to come to the UK under the Visitor visa route. Please note that visitors can only stay in the UK for up to 6 months and they cannot study or work.