UK visa requirements

Student Route visa

If you are an international student and are coming to the UK to study, then you must apply to the Home Office for a visa.  In most cases you will need to obtain a Student Route visa.  In order to apply for this visa you must be sponsored by an education provider which is licensed by the UK Home Office.

The University of Law is a Student Sponsor approved by the UK Home Office. We are fully authorised by the UK Government to sponsor international students for a Student Route visa under the Points Based System.

We recommend that you read the information on this webpage alongside Appendix ST: Student of the Immigration Rules, which contains the Home Office’s regulations for the Student immigration route. You must also read our Student Visa Policy.

You cannot enter the UK as a Short-Term Student or Visitor and then change into the Student Route. The University of Law cannot enrol you on any of our full-time courses as a Short-Term Student which last longer than 6 months. Additionally, we cannot enrol you on a Visitor visa or on any other visa which doesn’t permit study.

Please note that the University does not currently provide visa sponsorship to students for part-time study. We also cannot sponsor students for online courses due to Home Office regulations.

Students with existing UK immigration permission/visa

If you already have immigration permission or a visa for the UK, you will be asked to submit evidence of your existing Right to Study in the UK (e.g. passport and biometric residence permit) using our online verification system. You will be asked to do this after you accept your offer to study with us.  You must also read our Right to Study Policy.

You cannot enrol on your course or attend any learning sessions until you have had your Right to Study verified by the University.

It is the responsibility of all international students to secure the correct immigration permission which allows them to study in the UK and covers the entire duration of their course.

Please note that UK immigration requirements are subject to change at any time and students should always refer to the last version of the Immigration Rules.

COVID-19 and International Students

We have a dedicated webpage with advice and updates for our students on Coronavirus (Covid-19). This includes guidance for our international students on making a Student visa application during this period and any Home Office temporary concessions. Please follow this link to access this information.

EEA and Swiss Nationals

The UK is introducing a new immigration system which will come into effect on 1 January 2021. If you are an EEA / Swiss national, you will need a visa to study in the UK from this date, unless you hold Pre-Settled or Settled Status for the UK. You can find further guidance on these changes and how to apply under the Settlement Scheme in this document.

Hong Kong British National (Overseas)

The Home Office is introducing a new Hong Kong British National (Overseas) visa for those who are British National Overseas citizens and ordinarily resident in Hong Kong.  You can find further guidance about this visa in this document.

Graduate Route Visa

The Home Office has announced they will be introducing a Graduate Route for students who succesfully complete a course at Bachelor Degree level or above on 1 July 2021. You can find the answers to common questions about this visa in this document.

Further guidance

If you have any questions after reading the guidance on this webpage, please email International Student Advice. Please read this document before writing to us, as it explains how we advise students and the support we can provide.

Student Route: Applying outside the UK

Advice and guidance about how to apply for a Student Route visa from outside the UK.

Discover more

Student Route: Applying inside the UK

Advice and guidance about how to apply for a Student Route visa from inside the UK.

Discover more

Receiving a CAS

Information about how to receive a Confirmation for Acceptance of Studies (CAS) from The University of Law.

Discover more

Financial requirements and supporting documents

Advice and guidance about the Home Office's financial requirement and the other documents you will need to submit with your Student Route visa application.

Discover more

Arriving in the UK and enrolment

Information about receiving your Student Route visa, travelling to the UK and the documents you will need to enrol on your course.

Discover more

Student visa regulations

Information about specific Home Office regulations for Visa Sponsored Students, including academic progression and the time limit on study.

Discover more

Visitor visa

Guidance on applying for a Visitor visa for short periods of study in the UK.

Discover more