UK visa requirements

Receiving a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS)

What is a CAS?

A CAS is a unique number which confirms you have been accepted on a course of study in the UK. It is an electronic document generated using the Home Office’s system and is essential in order to make a successful Tier 4 application. You will need a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) from The University of Law in order to apply for a Tier 4 Student visa.

How do I receive a CAS?

  • In order to receive a CAS from The University of Law, you must complete all of the steps below in the correct order.
  • You will receive an email confirmation as you complete each step of the CAS request process and this will allow you to track the progress of your request.
  • It can take some time to complete all of the steps below and so you must submit your Visa Requirements Form and documents as soon as possible. Otherwise, you will not have enough time to apply for your visa and start your course.

Step 1: Accept an Unconditional Offer to study with us

We cannot issue you a CAS unless you have accepted an unconditional offer to study with us. You must have submitted evidence of the academic qualifications which are the basis of your offer to study with us and evidence of your English language ability (if applicable).

Please email our Admissions Team at for any queries about your offer conditions or receiving an unconditional offer.

Step 2: Make the pre-payment towards your course fees

You will be asked to make this payment after accepting your unconditional offer. It will be deducted from your total course fees. We cannot proceed with your CAS request until you have made this payment and it has been allocated to your student record. It can take several days for a payment to appear on your student record depending on the payment method.

For any queries about making this payment, please email our Student Finance Team at

Step 3: Submit the Visa Requirements Form

You will receive an email with a link to the Visa Requirements Form. Make sure that you complete the Visa Requirements Form in full and provide all the required documents or your CAS request will not be processed.

You must submit copies of the following documents with your Visa Requirements Form:

  • Information page of your passport
  • Copies of any previous UK visas or immigration stamps
  • Evidence that you have completed any courses that you studied in the UK after the course which is the basis of your offer to study at the University.

We will check your Visa Requirements Form and contact you if you require any additional documents or information. We do not start processing a student's visa requirements until 3 months before their course start date.

Step 4: Assessment of Tier 4 Sponsorship

We will check whether you qualify for Tier 4 sponsorship by referring to the Home Office regulations. We may request further information on your immigration history, why you want to study your course and your future plans.

You may also be asked to attend an online interview with the Visa Compliance Team and you will receive further instructions by email.

Step 5: Confirm your pre-CAS

You will receive an email confirmation that you qualify for Tier 4 sponsorship and a link to your pre-CAS. The pre-CAS allows you to check the information we will be sending to the Home Office to generate your CAS.

You must check the pre-CAS carefully and confirm whether the information is correct or if anything needs to be changed before your CAS is issued.

Step 6: Submit your financial evidence

You will receive an email asking you to send us the financial evidence you will be submitting with your Tier 4 visa application to be checked.

Please see our information on financial requirements and supporting documents for further guidance on the financial evidence which will be accepted by the Home Office. If you qualify for the Home Office’s Differentiation Arrangements we will not ask to check your financial evidence, as you are not required to submit this with your visa application.
We will not issue a CAS until we have checked your financial evidence and confirmed it fully meets Home Office requirements.

Step 7: Receive the CAS statement

We will send you a CAS Statement email, which will contain your CAS number and other information you will need to include with your online visa application.

If any of the information on the CAS statement is incorrect, please write to us immediately.

Frequently Asked Questions

We only need to see evidence for any courses in the UK that you studied after the course which is used as the basis of your offer. For example, if you studied a Bachelor Degree (the basis of your offer) and then studied a Master’s Degree, we would need to see evidence you completed that course successfully. This is a Home Office requirement called Academic Progression. Please refer to our Tier 4 regulations information.

If we do ask you to provide evidence of your qualifications, we can only accept the following:

  • An award certificate which includes: your name, the title of the award, the date of the award and the name of the awarding institution; or
  • A final transcript which includes: your name, the name of the academic institution, the course title and the confirmation of the award.

If your last course in the UK was a Master’s Degree and the only thing outstanding for you to be awarded is to submit your dissertation or final project, we can accept a progression letter issued by your current institution. Please see our Tier 4 regulations information for further guidance on the requirements for a progression letter.

You will receive your CAS within 3 working days of completing all of the steps above. It is very important that you check your documents carefully before sending them to us. Failure to submit the correct documents in a timely manner will delay the processing of your CAS request.

Please note that the steps in the CAS request process are Home Office compliance checks and we cannot issue any student a CAS until we are completely satisfied they fully meet their Tier 4 requirements.

The dates that the University will start and stop issuing CAS can be found in this document. Please note that the deadlines for issuing CAS for our courses are final. We cannot issue any student a CAS after these dates, as we must be able to demonstrate to the Home Office that you can enrol by the start date for your course.