• Student policy

    • At The University of Law we treat the personal data that you share with us, with the utmost care and privacy.  We comply fully with The Data Protection Act 1998 and will only process your personal data in the normal and proper conduct of academic and business operations.

      For more details, please view our Terms and conditions of website use and data protection policy.

      Our website uses cookies so please also view our Cookies and privacy policy.

    • How do I get on a course?
      Can I use my previous experience?
      • You may be able to claim credits for your course, based on:
        • Previous courses you’ve taken in the same subject area
        • Practical experience of work in the industry
        • Training you have completed as part of a job
      When can I start?
      Can I get help with fees?
    • We want you to have a good learning experience during your time at the University.

      You will have access to:

      • Great personal and subject tutors
      • A range of different learning activities
      • Regular feedback
      • A good learning environment
      • Support to help you succeed

      We will:

      • Work with you to improve and update our teaching
      • Encourage you to take an active role in shaping your learning
      • Help you to recognise your achievements and where you need to improve

      For full details see the Learning and Teaching Policy

    • If you would like advice on how to make a complaint, please see the “When things go wrong” section.

      Whether the support you need is specific to you or of a more general nature the University offers the following:

      Learning Difficulties and Disability

      Concerned about the demands made by each course? 

      See www.law.ac.uk/disability-support-service to access overviews of each course and the study skills required for successful completion.

      All students are required to tell us about any learning difficulties, disabilities or medical conditions that may require emergency first aid, so that we can put appropriate arrangements in place where necessary

      See the Disability Support Policy for details on:

      • When and how to inform the University
      • How to obtain a Disability Support Agreement (if required)
      • Action to take if a Disability Support Agreement is not awarded

      We are committed to equal opportunity for all its students and comply fully with all applicable legal requirements in the Equal Opportunities Act 2010 through our Diversity Policy.  

      See the Diversity Policy to find out:

      • What the University aims to achieve and in what areas
      • Who ensures application of the policy
      • Your part in ensuring that the University applies its policy
      • How to make a complaint

      You may find that you need the help of an objective listener during your period of study with us.  We therefore provide access to external counsellors.

      See the Counselling Policy to find details about:

      • The service provided
      • Access to the service
      • Confidentiality and exceptions to the rule
      • Access to data compiled
      • How to make a complaint

      In addition to the University on-line library, each Centre also has traditional library facilities.

      See the Library Services Policy to find out what we aim to provide in terms of:

      • The learning environment
      • The staff available
      • The working structures of the library from book loans to fines
      • Training and user support
      • How to make a complaint
      Who are our staff?

      Interested in our promise to you to recruit appropriately qualified staff?

      See the Learning and Development for Student Support Policy to view those promises.

      Employability (Careers and Pro Bono)

      We provide an Employability Service which in an ever-demanding workplace aims to provide you with support in finding work, practical experience, training contracts, etc.

      The Employability Service offers a wealth of different advice.

      See the Employability Service – Statement of Service (Students) protocol for details about:

      • The general ‘service’ provided
      • Those providing the service
      • The professional requirements of the service
      • When you will have access to the service (pre-acceptance / current and other students/ alumni)
      • What the ‘service’ expects from students
      • Giving feedback
      • Making complaints
      • Disclaimers

      See the Employability Service – External Opportunities (Placements) Policy for details about:

      • External opportunities
      • Placements
      • Shadowing
      • Advice work
      • Insight days
      • Public legal education

      See the Employability Service – Statement of Service (Recruiters) protocol for details about:

      • Employability Services’ relationship with Recruiters and Recruitment Agencies

      See the Employability Service – Equal Opportunities Policy for details on:

      • Equal opportunities

      See the Employability Service – Confidentiality Policy for details on:

      • Confidentiality and exceptions

      The general framework within which the University works in the area of Employability through its Careers and Pro Bono Departments can be found here

      We also have an over-arching policy that covers all of the above areas. For full details, see the Enabling Student Development and Achievement Policy

    • We want to hear from you about:
      • application and admission
      • induction
      • programme design, development and approval, including delivery
      • learning and teaching
      • student enhancement (learning resources, employability, learning support, pastoral care)
      • assessment
      • external examining
      • programme monitoring and review
      • working with other institutions
      • policy development
      • higher education review
      Want to get involved?

      As a student of the University, you will have access to the Student Association, and you can feedback in a variety of ways. For example, you can give your opinion by:

      • Filling in a survey at the start, end and throughout your course
      • Informing your Class Representative, Course Representative or Centre Officer
      • Attending a focus group
      • Attend SSLC meetings
      • Attending Student Parliament meetings
      • For more information, visit the Student Association site, available via ELITE
      Or you can help make changes within the University by:
      • Become a student representative as part of the Student Association
      • Applying to become a student member of the Academic Board
      • Apply to become the next Student Association President (paid role)
      • For more information, visit the Student Association site, available via ELITE

      For full details see the Student Engagement Policy 

    • What if I want to take a break from my studies?
      What if the course I want to attend is cancelled before I start?
      What happens when the University plans to close down a programme?
      • In very rare circumstances, it may be necessary for us to close courses that are already running
      • Student interests are protected
      • For full details, see the Programme Closure Policy
    • The over-arching Assessment Policy can be found here

      If you have any specific queries about your assessments, please refer to your Student Handbook, the Assessment Regulations for your course, or speak to someone in the Assessment Office at your centre.

      If I’m unhappy with my grade, what can I do?
      • There are some circumstances in which you can appeal your result – see the Academic Appeals and Reviews Policy
      • Please note that there is no appeal against the academic judgement of the Board of Examiners or an External Examiner
      • You can appeal if you believe that the Board of Examiners have misapplied the Regulations of the Board or there are new circumstances or circumstances not previously made known to the Board and you have a good reason why you are only now making them known
      • The exact wording and detail varies from course to course – so please read the relevant Assessment Regulations carefully
      • Should you wish to submit a Stage One Appeal, you can find the application form here
    • Unhappy about something?

      You should always try to resolve it informally first by:

      • If things go wrong, you can contact the Student Association for advice and assistance on what to do next.
      • speaking to the relevant department (eg Student Services, IT, etc)
      • speaking to your tutor
      • speaking to your Head of Students
      If you’re still unhappy, you can make a formal complaint by:
      Please note – the Complaints Policy does not cover:

      If you have any questions, feel free to contact complaints@law.ac.uk

      For more details see the Student Complaints Policy 

      For details of outcomes from complaints submitted to the Office of the Independent Adjudicator (OIA), please see this summary.