Studying for the US Bar can open several doors for any aspiring lawyer. You’ll be able to enhance your employability by gaining an international qualification and develop a wider scope of knowledge to benefit your professional development. However, why else would you want to sit the US Bar? We’ve put together a few reasons why you should consider dual qualification.
When trying to make yourself more employable, there is no downside to being dual qualified. Taking the US Bar looks great on your CV, and it will help you set yourself apart from other candidates, especially if you hope to practise abroad. Even if you don’t wish to work overseas, dual qualifications can attract a higher salary in UK firms.
Larger job market
The US legal market is far larger than the UK legal market, offering you greater choice of law firms and practice areas. However, the US legal community find it difficult to understand the status of a solicitor or barrister. Becoming an attorney will greatly help you raise your ‘stock’ with US firms. By passing a US Bar exam, you allow yourself the opportunity to practise law in that state as a fully admitted lawyer, offering better prospects than working as a law clerk or foreign legal consultant.
Higher salaries overseas
A larger job market isn’t the only reason to consider practising in the United States. The University of Law Tutor, Matthew Nash says that “The best paying traineeships in London are now with US and predominantly New York firms.” If you are considering moving to the USA, a study conducted by property buyer Good Move found British lawyers (who earn £66,329 on average) could see their salaries increase by as much as 41% to £93,284 if they moved.
Sitting the US Bar isn’t easy, with just under 80% of law graduates who took the 2021 exam passing first time, according to new figures released by the American Bar Association. However, our US Bar Prep Course can make you feel confident in passing the Bar. When studying with us:
- You’ll be able to enhance your employability by gaining an international qualification and developing a wider scope of knowledge to benefit your professional development.
- Receive unparalleled student support with our bespoke workshops, created to help bridge the gap between the legislation of the country you are qualified in and US law. You’ll also be assigned a licensed attorney who will grade your essays and provide you with detailed feedback, as well as have regular meetings with your tutors.
- You can feel confident in passing the US Bar, as we’ll provide you with access to an online portal containing lectures, past papers, and additional resources.
- Enjoy flexible study with our part-time, online study option. You can study when and how you want and customise your learning around work and personal commitments.
- No visas are required to study the course, making it easier than ever to study for the US Bar.
- We offer the most affordable US Bar Preparation Course in the UK for non-US graduates and lawyers.
We’re so confident in our US Bar Prep course that if you don’t pass the course first time, you can take the course again for free*.
Interested in studying for the US Bar? Find out more about our US Bar Prep Course.