Bates Wells describes themselves as “not the average law firm”. They believe actions speak louder than words and endeavour to do what is right as a business and help clients make a positive impact. As the first UK law firm to be a B Corp, Bates Wells considers the impact their decisions have on people, clients, suppliers, the community, and the environment.
They believe the “classic” economic model, where businesses focus on maximising profit, isn’t sustainable. Instead, Bates Wells is part of a movement placing profits and purpose on equal footing. Both must be present for the long-term sustainability of a business.
Bates Wells is a leader in positive change for society and defends those who champion this change. They won worker status in the revolutionary Uber Supreme Court case and represented former trustees of Kids Company in their successful challenge to the decision endeavouring to disqualify them as directors following the unfortunate insolvency of the charity.
Top three things they look for in graduates
Bates Wells is seeking candidates who can deomnstrate their values are aligned with those of the business.
- They want to see enthusiasm for clients, many of which are charities or social enterprises working to create a positive impact on society
- They also look for candidates that show they understand the impact changing social, political, and economic landscapes have on their clients
- Finally, they want innovative thinkers capable of finding solutions to unique problems
Recruitment cycle dates
Applications for their Easter vacation scheme open in October 2023 and close in January 2024. Direct training contract applications open in October 2023 and close in May 2024.
- Vacation Scheme Applications: Applications open 2 October 2023. Deadiline 31 January 2024.
- Training Contract Applications: Applications open 2 October. Deadline 29 April 2024.
Candidates yet to complete a vocational qualification will need to complete the SQE. The firm covers tuition fees and pays a maintenance grant for those candidates we offer training contracts. However, they will not do this retrospectively for candidates who have completed or secured a place on either the LPC or SQE at the point of application. Candidates who have already completed the LPC will not be asked to complete the SQE.
How to contact them
Their graduate recruitment contact is Daisy Mortimer. For more information, you can contact Bates Wells at: [email protected]
For more information visit their website: https://bateswells.co.uk/careers/training-with-us/