I managed a mixed caseload of property finance, acquisition and disposals and Landlord and Tenant.
My Property finance experience included acting for various lenders lending on a variety of properties ranging from small investment properties to large multi-let investment properties and developments sites, including:
- £10million loan to purchase central London single let property;
- £17million loan to refinance a development site;
- £6million loan to purchase a development site
- £1.8million loan to refinance two investment properties
My Acquisition and disposal work saw me:
- Assisting in the acquisition of a large retail site with 50 plus leases, consideration £6million;
- Assisting in large portfolio acquisitions;
- Assisting in the disposal of a large town centre retail site with over 170 leases, consideration £14million;
- Disposal of various units let to blue chip companies, consideration from £1million - £3million;
- Preparation of title for disposal including rectifications of defects in title and headleases and occupation lease variations.
Landlord & Tenant experience included drafting and negotiating leases on behalf of investor clients, of both offices, industrial and retail premises.
Although I have mentioned large value deals above, I also dealt with many smaller matters, that could be just as complex and time consuming as a multi £million deal. The amount of work involved in a project was not always consistent with the values involved. It ensured you never prejudged a transaction.
My work was varied, and my work practice was varied. Sometimes I would work on large projects independently, having to plough through large files of documents, sometimes with very complex, technical issues. However I frequently worked closely in a small team of lawyers, dealing with a specific project. That small team could also expand to include other departments – particularly when dealing with corporate transactions.
Marketing and networking were also weekly, if not daily, activities. This ranged from telephone contact with clients, to attending industry and social events.
Commercial property is a fairly constant discipline. I was not expected to work extremely long hours on a regular basis, however I had been known to be in the office at 2am when working as part of a large corporate transaction! Normally I would work 9am- 7pm (mornings were not my forte). Occasionally I would work weekends – but this was not a regular occurrence.