Real estate is a demanding field of law that can involve complicated negotiations and deal with legal issues encompassing transactions, occupation, development and investment.
The University of Law’s Real Estate Structured Training Programme gives lawyers working in this area the in-depth knowledge and practical skills to tackle these issues with confidence.
The programme comprises a series of ten core modules aimed at solicitors during their first three years in practice – plus complementary courses for more experienced solicitors or junior solicitors who need specialist training. All core and further courses can be taught together or on a stand-alone basis in-house.
This structured programme is designed to provide lawyers with a thorough grounding in the principal areas of real estate practice. It comprises ten core modules, aimed at junior lawyers, and nine further modules for more experienced lawyers or those with specialist training requirements. Training is available on an in-house basis for organisations with a number of delegates or through membership of our real estate training consortium. All modules are delivered face-to-face and can be taken on a stand-alone basis or as part of a structured programme, allowing organisations to select topics to suit their specific needs.
The core modules are aimed at solicitors during their first three years of practice or those who are new to the practice area and looking to refresh their knowledge. The further modules are designed for solicitors with more experience or junior solicitors who require specialist training.
- Choose from our programme of 19 core and further modules to build an incremental learning programme to meet your needs
- Provides a thorough grounding in the key areas of real estate practice
- Designed and delivered by practitioners with high-level experience in the field
- Highly interactive, with a focus on practical tasks and realistic case studies – to ensure learning is directly applicable in the workplace
- Training is supported by comprehensive study notes and working documents
Find out more
Call +44 (0)1483 216 663
Organisations select a relevant programme from our list of ten core and nine further modules, which can be attended individually or as part of a structured programme. Modules are then delivered on a face-to-face basis by our highly experienced trainers at a time and location to suit you. All modules blend tuition with group discussion and case studies.
The core module programme has been structured to reflect the way solicitors develop their knowledge and skills in the early years of qualification, but the modules can be taken in whatever order is preferred. The modules focus on understanding the critical legal and commercial issues that underpin real estate transactions and developing the confidence to manage transactions, handle negotiations and advise clients. Participants are encouraged to see issues from the point of view of all parties involved and understand how individual transactions fit within the context of investment, occupation and development.
The core modules available are as follows:
- Managing the Investment (two days)
- Lease Negotiation (two days)
- The Investment Transaction (two days)
- Corporate Support (one day)
- Leases – Protecting Rights (one day)
- Leases – Enforcing Obligations (one day)
- Development – Basic Issues on Site Assembly (one day)
- Development – Basic Planning and Environmental Issues (one day)
- Development – Basic Construction Aspects (one day)
- Development – Financial Aspects of Documentation (one day)
The further modules cover specialist areas of real estate practice where further training needs may be identified. They build on the core module learning and use experience gained in practice to understand the commercial importance of the topics covered. There is a focus on identifying the context within which advice from specialist colleagues is given/required, and on applying legal and commercial principles to the structuring of transactions.
The further modules available are as follows:
- Buying and Developing Mixed Use Developments and Associated Problems (one day)
- Overage – A Practical Guide (0.5 days)
- Joint Ventures – An Introduction for Property Lawyers (0.5 days)
- Tax for Real Estate Lawyers – SDLT (0.5 days)
- Tax for Real Estate Lawyers – VAT (0.5 days)
- Landlord’s Rights and Remedies (one day)
- Lender’s Rights and Remedies (one day)
- Property as an Investment Class (0.5 days)
- Investigating Unregistered Title – A Case Study (one day)
Modules can be delivered throughout the year to meet your requirements.
In-house training can be delivered either at one of our centres, your premises or an appropriate third party venue nationwide. Consortium training can be delivered either at one of our centres, a consortium member’s premises or an appropriate third party venue nationwide.
In-house course fees vary according to requirements. Consortium course fees are split between the organisations attending according to delegate numbers. Please contact us directly for a personalised quotation to meet your needs.
To discuss how we can meet your organisation's requirements and for more information, please call our Client Contact Centre on +44 (0)1483 216 663 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
We go to great lengths to ensure that the information provided is correct at the time of publication. However, we reserve the right to withdraw or change, for any reason and without notice, any of the programmes and/or to alter tuition fees, locations, entry requirements and/or the facilities and/or services available from or provided by or on behalf of the University. Please note that the choice of subjects may be limited by considerations of timetable, staffing and/or available places on a course.
Each day of training is accredited for six CPD hours and each half-day for three CPD hours.
Commercial Property Training Consortium
We also offer a Commercial Property Training Consortium (CPTC). To find out more about our Consortia training programmes please contact our Client Contact Centre on +44 (0)1483 216 663.
For legal employers
To maximise profit and potential… give your lawyers an edge with our Professional Development training courses. Contact us to discuss your training requirements at email@example.com
Access our training by practice area
From tax to trusts, we have quality training covering all the major practice areas - more information on practice areas.